An addiction is an illegitimate means of meeting a legitimate need. We use many things to fill the needs we have in our lives: money, shopping, gambling, drugs and alcohol to name a few. The ‘drug‘ of choice takes away the pain we are experiencing, even when we don’t acknowledge that the pain is real. Sometimes the pain isn’t even in our consciousness! Pain from past wounds is buried under the mounds of whatever it is we use to avoid the pain — money, shopping, and food.
How do you know if you’re addicted to food? Ask yourself some simple questions:
- Do I eat when I am experiencing strong emotions?
- Am I unaware of the quantity of food I eat?
- Do I know what it is like to feel hunger?
- Is there a particular food I crave when stressed?
- Do I rationalize my eating habits?